I previously attempted this pattern about a year ago. You can see it in this very short post here.
Today I finished making view D, the purple version in the top left corner. The fabric is from Spotlight. Isn't it great? It's just printed but it really looks like the patches are sewn on.
I don't know why I didn't like it before. It's easy to fit because it has a seam under the bust and at the waist.
Doris and I have the same bust measurement, but she's all back, whereas I'm all front. So she doesn't fill it out quite as well as I do.
The side back seams also help to get a perfect fit. I didn't have to make many adjustments with this. I added a seam allowance all around the midriff, and took a few inches off the skirt length. If I make it again I'll make the straps about an inch shorter.
I added a dart to the front of the straps. The straps are curved but I wanted more definition.
Look, they work!
And here is the finished product.
Spanx ahoy! (You'd think I'd spot them while I'm so busy checking my own reflection.)
(I just like the way my hair turned out here.)
So I should have a few more summer dresses coming up over the next couple of months, and hopefully some more experimental items too.
The past 12 months I've been supporting my love, Jay, through gender transition (male to female). This month marks the end of the actual transition. It's been an emotional and mentally challenging year which is why I'm now taking a long break. I have TWO MONTHS holiday from work which is going to leave me with LOTS of lovely sewing (/sleeping/eating/reading) time at home...
I am very excited about it!